Sunday, July 15, 2007

Real Simple

I swear that when I opened my kitchen cupboard this afternoon, I heard a sad sigh eminate from the stack of cookbooks gathering dust in there. Without knowing what vegetables I will be able to find each week (and the somewhat odd combinations that have resulted), I have not been able to use many of my regular recipes, especially those that require more than a couple of ingredients. Instead, I have been forced to be creative and, at the same time, keep it very simple (my imagination only serves me so well).

We finished the other half of the halibut this evening using the recipe below. I changed it a bit from one of the same title that I found on the Better Homes and Gardens website:



Mustard-Glazed Halibut Steaks
Prep: 10 min.
Grill: 8 min.

Ingredients
2 6-ounce fresh halibut steaks, cut 1 inch thick (you can also use frozen if you defrost before cooking)
2 T. butter
2 T. lemon juice
1 T. whole-grain Dijon-style mustard (regular Dijon also works)
2 t. dried Herbs de Provence

Directions
1. In microwave (or small saucepan) heat butter, lemon juice, mustard, and Herbs de Provence until butter is melted. Brush both sides of steaks with mustard mixture.

3. If you're using a grill, grill fish steaks on the greased rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 8 to 12 minutes or just until fish begins to flake easily when tested with a fork, turning once and brushing occasionally with mustard mixture. (We just dropped it on the Foreman grill for about 8 minutes at 300 degrees)


I then sautéed some summer squash in about a tablespoon of garlic-infused olive oil and seasoned with a bit of salt and pepper. They were wonderfully sweet!



Come by for dinner soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to come to dinner! Your meal looked delicious....

Just as I was getting ready to tell you how disapointed I was that the CSA that said they'd send me a list of available produce on Sundays hadn't done so - the email arrived (11:30 PM).

To give you an idea of what's available this week (for pick-up on Thursday), here's the list with prices:

Beets - $3 bunch
Summer Squash (Zucchini, Yellow, or Patty Pan) - $2/lb
Cucumbers - $.75 each
Pickle Cukes - $1/lb
Bunching Onions (Scallions) - $2/bunch (10)
Green Beans - $2/lb
Yellow Beans - $2/lb
Onions - $1.50/lb
Swiss Chard - $3/bunch
Kale - $2/bunch
Chinese Cabbage (4-6lbs) - $3.50 each
Kamatzuna (Asian Green, like a cross b/w chard and cabbage, mild, good for stirfry) - $2.50/bunch

Herbs (Basil, Dill, Marjoram, Sage, Cilantro, Lemon Basil, Thyme, Oregano, and Mint) - $2/bunch

I'm curious how that compares with what you can get in sunny Southern California!